Wednesday 23 November 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 226 - Sacred and Little Kingfisher

I thought I would continue with my kingfisher posts this week.  The Sacred Kingfisher (Todiramphus sanctus) is one of Australia's most widespread kingfishers.  The Little Kingfisher (Ceyx pusillus) lives up to its name by being only 12cm long - this bird is only found on the central and eastern coasts of northern Australia.

The picture of both of these birds were taken on a wonderful late afternoon / evening trip Yellow Water cruise in Kakadu National Park.

If you look closely, you can see that the Sacred Kingfisher has a small companion.  The pictures of the Little Kingfisher are not as sharp as I would like - but I think I saw the bird for a total of about 10 seconds, so I'll take what I can get!

Sacred Kingfisher
Sacred Kingfisher
Sacred Kingfisher
Little Kingfisher 
Little Kingfisher
Now its over to you - click the blue button to join on with Wild Bird Wednesday.

23 comments:

  1. They are both beautiful. You are so lucky to have so many varieties of this bird. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bird..I'm always amazed by the size of it's beak/bill..When is a beak a bill??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Love the blue of the Little Kingfisher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a kingfisher too, but not the same as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning vibrant colors. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Stewart!:) Absolutely stunning little birds. They both have beautiful blue plumage, and your captures are great.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful birds - I'm always impressed by the beak size to body size ratio on these guys and they are so colorful, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and the Little Kingfisher is so cute and small. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous photos. Such amazing looking birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my experience not an easy brd to always see and certainly not easy to get as good shots as your did. Thanks for hosting Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great photos of the kingfishers! Love their large beaks and blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots Stewart! Every time I try to get close to a kingfisher around here, they zoom off. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both beautiful birds, Stewart. Thanks for hosting this meme.; you keep me motivated to look for birds in new places! I've linked up my post for today. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous, Stewart! What sweet birds they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bird and beautiful images :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Little Kingfisher really is little isn't it? In pictures it is often hard to judge the size of aan unfamiliar bird. But not in this case. Wish we had more than one Kingfisher here and it's only when I get further than Europe that I see others. Thanks for letting me join in today Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may be repeating myself, but I love the Kingfishers ... they are such cute, quirky little birds and handsome and powerful at the same time. You are lucky you have so many to choose from. We have only one in our area and though I see and hear him often, I am rarely able to capture his picture. So what little friend ... I have scoured the pictures of the Sacred Kingfisher and he looks to be alone to me. I will admit, I am old and, at the moment, my vision isn't quite right ... but really, a friend? Where or what? That will haunt me until you tell me ... :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry....I'm running well behind...and am trying vainly to catch up!

    Wonderful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not bad shots at all for 10 seconds work. I haven't even seen a Little kingfisher let alone photographed one.

    ReplyDelete