Wednesday 8 January 2020

Wild Bird Wednesday 390 - Northern Rosella

The Northern Rosella (Platycercus venustus) is a rather splendid looking parrot that is only found in the central northern section of Australia - hence the name!

It is the only Australian parrot with a black cap and pale cheeks.  Given it lives in the north of Australia, and I dont, my trip to Darwin last year gave me the first real chance I had had to photograph this species.

Although I saw them on a number of occasions, I found then to be rather timid - much like the Eastern Roselllas I see at home.

I managed to get these shots in - wait for it - the camp site at Katherine.  I suppose birds in camp sites become a little less timid due to the near constant company of people.








As ever, you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share WBW with other bloggers.   SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

  1. Very very beautiful Rosella ! Australia is so big that it takes two lifetimes to see all the birds. The north of the country is very interesting too.
    I really like this parakeet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    It's a beaut - love that 'lacey' breast!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous birds! These are beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a handsome bird, Stewart. All the rosellas, are, of course. They are an unquestioned part of Australia's charm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors...I hope they are safe from the fires..so sad..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pretty bird and with such colourful feathers!
    It is nice to see it.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Northern Rosella is a pretty bird. I like your captures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Stewart. Beautiful and colourful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful bird, a good photo! Congratulations on observing. I am glad that there are still such birds. For me it is a completely unusual exotic, and parrots in my country are sitting in cages. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks long and slim. Pretty bird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's another lovely bird. I'd like to see it in flight and what the tail looks like. How are the birds faring in the heat, smoke and fires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A handsome bird! The parrot family is well-represented in Australia. Hope the fires stay away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous bird. I really really like this one. I hope the fires are away from you. It's breaking our hearts over here in the US. It looks terrible from the videos and pics that are coming over the screen. The loss of wildlife is heartbreaking. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful images. Our hearts are with you and we are doing what we can for Australia's animals and people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet name! Love the blue feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hah! Campsites and car parks must be the most prolific spots on earth for bird watching!

    Wonderful photographs, Stewart! Very unique plumage (to me).

    Hope all is well as our New Year leaps forward.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a BEAUTIFUL BIRD, Stewart!!!...:)jp (Happy New Year!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Stewart

    Beautiful images of a stunning bird.

    I hope that you have escaped any immediate disasters at home, but realise that the desperate situation will affect Australia for many years to come. You have my total sympathy.

    It's been a long while since I visited - too long. I'll try and rectify that in future!

    Please look at my reply to your comment on my blog. If you think that it's a small world, I think that you'll be amazed by another coincidence relating to David G! Does the man have strange mystical powers? or it his 'other half' who weaves magic spells?

    ReplyDelete