Wednesday 5 May 2021

Wild Bird Wednesday 458 - Pink Cockatoo/ Major Mitchell's Cockatoo

The Pink Cockatoo (Lophochroa leadbeateri) was one of the birds I was hoping to see when I went up to the Mallee in NW Victoria a little while ago.  They are a bird of inland, arid Australia and they are not found in my neck of the woods.

Six hours in the car fixed all that.  I had not long been at my accommodation nr. Patchewollock when my hosts detected the calls of a flock of these birds in some nearby pine trees.  I could not believe my luck - but it was the start of one of the better weekends of birding I have had in a very long time.

There was a small flock - maybe six or seven birds - in the trees and while they did not really cooperate on the photographic front, I got some wonderful views, and some pictures I am happy to share.

This pair of birds were doing some allopreening and also seemed to be sharing food.

This flock of birds (presumably) where in the area for most of the weekend - and although I never got any better views or pictures I often saw the birds on the middle distance.  We also found 2 or maybe three birds roosting when we went out looking for owls.

The last picture in this post is not great, but it actually shows a bird perched on my hosts house! That's a heck of a garden bird!  This bird dropped in to say a pre-dawn good morning before I set off for a (excellent) early morning session at a hide. It was a remarkable way to start the day. 

You can see why Pink Cockatoo is an obvious name, and in the final image you can see the colour banding on the crest.












The name 'Major Mitchell's Cockatoo' may not be all that appropriate, given that they bird was not first seen by him and that there was some very poor (but predictable for the time) interactions between some of Mitchell's men and Aboriginal people during his expeditions. 

I hope at least one of my regular readers is sat down when you read this (you know who you are!)

 Stay safe, get vaccinated and join in with WBW by clicking on the link below:




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

  1. I've never seen this one before. Beautiful birds! The pink is almost pastel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard or seen this bird before Stewart so that is interesting. Love the B & w shots in last post also. hanks for hosting stay safe and have a gret wek ahead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    they are truly pretty birds, aren't they? I never did get the Major Mitchell bit - though one birding pal from Sydney was of the opinion it was more about the way the bird 'marches' when it is on the ground that it got the nickname... So a soldier of old perhaps parodying said officer!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate that smashing bird, as well as your comments about it. Cheers. ALOHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent images of these beautiful birds. What great luck you had, a reward for all the effort that went into your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve never seen pink birds. Gorgeous creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could whimper and whine and bemoan the fact that you went without me, or I could simply offer my sincere congratulations, which Is what I choose to do. And now you will know exactly where we should look for this bird of my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Stewart
    these birds are a very beautiful color, never seen before
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, incredibly pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Pink Cockatoo looks like it fell into a big bowl of strawberry Jello!!! So perfectly "pink". As for the "Major"...while I understand the name associated with it, it's too attractive for such a name and I think you should rename the species!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gresat shots of the Major Mitchell cockatoo. I have not seen them that close up, they are a lovely bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just can't imagine what a treat it is for someone like me to see these surprisingly and gorgeously coloured large birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful..such a soft pink..Thanks for sharing..great shots

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Stewart, beautiful that Pink Cockatoo. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantasy of bird... Love it ❤️... Happy weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete