Wednesday 2 November 2022

Wild Bird Wednesday 536 - Australian White Ibis

The Australian White Ibis (Threskiornis molucca) is a common site in many urban and rural areas of Australia.   Initially only a bird of pastures and grasslands, since the 1970s it has become established in urban areas- and is now some common in urban areas where people gather - and drop food - that they are commonly known as Bin Chickens.

These birds are living a more natural life at the Coolart Wetlands, about an hour from Melbourne.  However, I would expect that at other times of the year they could be found in more urban areas.

The Coolart wetlands breeding colony had a range of your birds, and there seemed still to be active breeding activity going on.  Breeding seems to be tied to rainfall - and given how wet a strong we have had, I think breeding may go on for a while yet.

I spent about 4 hours at a hide (I do like not being tied to work anymore!) and I suspect there will be more pictures from this session to come.

As you can see, the chicks were still being actively fed - and the 'string' of slime that links the adult to the you is particularly attractive! 











As ever, to join in with WBW, click the blue button.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Don't know why my bird picture did not pop up in the sharing link, but oh well. I'm glad you have free time to pursue your photography, Stewart. Thank you and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen juvenile ! Good set of image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen an ibis in the wild, only in the city - on bins and in parks....and streets, and even the school....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how the young bird's bill is not long like the adults. I wonder how long it takes for that to fully develop? Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an entirely new bird to me. It's interesting how the Australian White Ibis breeds when it's the rainy season. Great captures of the birds with their young in the nests. I was wondering how they could possibly feed their young with such exaggerated long curved bills, but the slime is the answer, although it doesn't always find its way to the young one's beak. :=)
    All the best Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice family shots. You had excellent exposure compensation to show the fine detail of the dark heads without blowing out all the white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    D'you know, in all my thirty years in OZ, I don't believe I ever saw the young of the Ibis... just lots of adults trying to pinch sandwiches from picnickers in the Sydney Botanic Gardens! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed these photos! Great shots of the nesting family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great images Stewart, great to see them in a natural habitat, however I always smile when I hear about this bird as I recall a fabulous if unfair video song about this bird in particular. Its called "A song about birds"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-OpFjHRbE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting birds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful birds, thanks for sharing them with us. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jesteś dzielny i cierpliwy! 4 godziny! Ja po godzinie rezygnuję, nie jestem cierpliwa. Gratuluję!

    ReplyDelete