Wednesday 16 November 2022

Wild Bird Wednesday 538 - Weka

The Weka (Gallirallus australis) is an endemic, flightless rail from New Zealand.  The bird is about 50cm long and weighs in between 700 and 1000g - in other words it's about the same size as a small chicken.

Those of you with good memories may recall that I posted some images of Woodhen from Lord Howe Island in the past. Woodhen and Weka are in the same genus and have both become flightless.  I say 'become' because both species of birds are found on remote (ish) island and it's sure that the ancestors of these birds did not swim to these islands!

These pictures are of two different birds and I suspect that they are examples of two of the four 'types' found in NZ.  The first bird seems to be one of the 'buff' forms - its does seem rather more 'ginger' than the darker bird, which may be the 'western' form.

In any case the first bird was very inquisitive and walked up to and past us without much bother.  I would have liked to get a bit lower for some of the shots of that bird, but we were half way though a walk and things were a little damp underfoot!  It's why I normally wear (or carry) a coat of some form!








This is the second bird.






As ever, to join in with WBW click the link/button below.  SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. We have lost so many island birds because of introduced predators and changes to their islands. Thank you for sharing these. Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sharing a North American wild turkey today. The picture was shot in Northern California

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    ...of course, they may have been around when Gondwanaland was, and therefore, flight was never necessary... just thinking out loud! 😄 An attractive bird and I like that there are variations in colour. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stewart :=) It really was a wet day! The shots of the Weka shaking out it's plumage in the small image is quite amusing, and in both the small and large images you can see the depth of orange colour in the under feathers. This flightless rail is very interesting.
    Please forgive my entry, first because they are not wild, and secondly because my link is wrong, and no matter how I try it doesn't show the correct title.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stewart I have never heard of this bird and it is wonderful that you saw these 2 birds and got photos of them Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a lovely week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are quite like the mutton birds (or wood hens? I forget) on Lord Howe Island - they've evolved into flightless birds. They look the same. I'll try to use the pics next week for you to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting information and excellent photos. The plumes on some are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stewart..For some reason, I no longer get your blog..Hope all is well..Missy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an interesting looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vaguely remember the woodhen. Flightless birds are interesting.

    ReplyDelete