Wednesday 5 April 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 558 - Laughing Kookaburra

I went for a bit of a walk in one of my local parks this weekend, and I encountered a good number of that most iconic of birds, the Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae).

The first birds I encountered where sitting as a pair, and one of them had (what looks like) a house a mouse in its beak.  Nice to see such an icon contributing to the control of invasive pests!

I did not get to see the behaviour where the bird smacks its prey against a branch to subdue it - but it was a great view nevertheless.

A little while later I encountered a group of three birds in the tree tops.  

What great birds!  They are the worlds largest kingfisher, and have one of the most distinctive calls in the world;  the call even occurs in early Tarzan films!










It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning - although I am sure the mouse through otherwise.

As ever, to join in with WBW just click on the link below.  SM



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    They are truly iconic... and it was only earlier this year that I discovered the amazing fact that Hollywood uses the Kooka's call to be the generic 'jungle sound' in movies! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your icons with us Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t realize they were kingfishers. Thank you. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful potos and observations of these iconic birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots Sewart the old fashion name for Little Grebe is dabchicks but I do not use that now.. Thanks for hosting and thanks for comments. Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kookaburra just look so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique bird!
    Happy Easter time to you, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on my experience of Laughing Kookaburras they would eat just about anything they could capture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emblematic, curious, naughty, I have only good memories with him especially at my aunt's house in Wombah, NSW.
    I think your trip with David will be fabulous.
    Frienship

    ReplyDelete