Wednesday 5 July 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 571 - Pacific Gull

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Pacific Gulls (Larus pacificus) had very large beaks — last week I got the chance to photograph this species rather closer the normal and I took the opportunity to do some beak shots!

This bird is at Wilsons Promontory National Park, and given the way it walked up to my car I suggest that it is used to getting food from visitors!  








Gulls of the World (Olsen) describes the beak as being 'almost grotesquely large' which seems a bit harsh to me. 'Impressively large' would seem more appropriate!

As ever to join in, click the button below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. That is quite a noble beak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing close-up ! This bill is not common ;-)
    Friendship

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic - the detail on the beak is splendid, especially the fading colour from the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I have been to Wilson Prom, I would pick a good night to do astro too

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an impressive beak, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous beak shot Well I would not let him come down and grab a chip from my hand!! Thanks for hosting and commenting. Havae a great week ahead Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari Om
    Impressive indeed!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent detail. Just as if it had dipped its huge bill into a pool of blood (or strawberry jam).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great portraits. Sometimes it looks like a grumpy old man!

    ReplyDelete