Wednesday 12 July 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 572 - Little Raven

The Little Raven (Corvus mellori) is the default raven in the areas around Melbourne - commonly called a 'crow' but the general public, but taxonomists would disagree.  Ravens are gernerally larger, and have different shaped wings and tails to crows.  There is also some differences in the colour of the soft feathers near the skin.  But what ever the differences - and they are not large enough for crows and ravens to be placed in separate genera - they are smart birds to look at, and smart in the intelligence stakes as well.

These birds were loafing around on a fence at the Point Cook Wetlands this weekend.  You can see a couple of interesting things in these pictures.  Firstly you can see the extra eyelid, called the nictitating membrane, on one of the birds.  And secondly, I suspect that the preening being done by one bird to another is allopreening, which may mean spring is in the air!









As ever, to join in with WBW click the link below.  cheers  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Stewart. Crows and ravens are fascinating, intelligent birds. Thank you for sharing more about them and you're great photos. I have a hummingbird today. Thanks for this wonderful routine in my week! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plumage detail, often so difficult to achieve with black birds, as well as beautifully composed images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I am very fond of Corvids and these are no exception. These are handsome indeed. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photographs. Am I the only one confused by the use of the word ‘vernally?’ In my world that relates to spring and not size. Perhaps there is an Australian connotation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally spell the would in question like this 'generally' - but sometimes fat fingers, auto correct, and poor proof reading conspire against me! SM

      Delete
  5. You caught them in a majestic way

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have made friends with the local crows. Love these birds. This one is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. crows adapt to urban life in our areas...
    Excellent shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your blackbirds. I offer a Great Blue Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn’t see your pictures in safari I so I had to switch browsers. I don’t understand why that is. It could be something to do with redirects or pop-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of photos. I hope all is well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful serie photos Stewart. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete