Wednesday 19 July 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 573 - Red-kneed Dotterel

The Red-kneed Dotterel (Erythrogonys cinctus) is the only species in its genus.  It is a lover of damp and floods places.  Last week I sat myself down next to a muddy pool to see what was about.  If the truth be told I had visited the pool a couple of days before and had returned with better camera gear and the hope that these birds would still be there.  (It's one of the advantages of retirement that I can now do, rather than just think about such expeditions!)

There were at least 5 of the birds on the pool, three adults and two younger birds.  As you can see from the pictures the birds were feeding in liquid mud - and no matter how hard I tried I could not see what they were feeding on.

The Red-kneed Dotterel is a small, plump wader with relatively long legs. Young birds are similar to adults but the hood and breast band are brown. 











As ever, to join in wth WBW click on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your remarks about retirement. They made me enjoy my own that much more. Thank you, Stewart! Always a pleasure to be here and to see your post as well as the other party guests. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome little birds. Glad they waited for you to arrive with yourcamera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew of the name Dotterel before. I confuse it with sand piper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to have the time to watch these lovely birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to take the time and really watch how bords behave. A beautifully marked little wader Stewart. Thanks for hosting and have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat bird! Don't think I've ever seen even a picture of one before. Thanks for the treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What remarkable reflections! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous photos of a bird I have never heard of before. Well done. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. A handsome bird that I remember well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonjour Stewart.
    Je découvre cet échassier, il est magnifique.
    Tu l'as photographié sur la côte vers Melbourne ?
    Merci pour ces belles photos.

    ReplyDelete