Wednesday 27 September 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 583 - All at Sea.

I was back in Tasmania this weekend for another couple of pelagic trips from Eaglehawk Neck.  The distance out from shore to the drop off at the edge of the continental shelf is not great in this part of Tasmania, so it's a good location for seeing sea birds.

I went out on two trip over the weekend that were rather contrasting in terms of weather, birds and the amount of seasickenss I suffered! 

Anyway, theses are some of the birds I/we saw.

Black-faced Cormorants 

Bullers Albatross

Bullers Albatross

Bullers Albatross

Campbells Albatross  

Campbells Albatross

Great Albatross (one of the wandering types)

Kelp Gulls

Salvin's Albatross 

Salvin's Albatross (Shy in foreground)

White-bellied Sea Eagle

Northern Giant Petrel

Shy Albatross (and Kelp Gull)

Shy Albatross

Shy Albatross

Crested Tern

Indian Yellow-Nosed Albatross

 I have to say I did not enjoy the return trip on the second day, but I managed to keep my act together, and the celebratory ice-cream on dry land was a delight.

As ever, to join in with WBW click on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. Glad you're back on solid ground my friend. I really enjoyed all your birds today. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Okay, even I would face the dreaded malaise to see such fine feathers as these!!! Thanks for taking that blow for us, Stewart. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The albatross looks so care free in the sky. Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your two trips were amazingly productive and your variety of species and detailed views of plumage and bill features were excellent. I have never seen an albatross in the wild, but of course I have only taken one pelagic cruise plus a few fishing trips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to eaglehawk neck but your photos are so much better than mine! Great boat trip tho

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this great photos of these beautiful birds which are so different from those I see on this island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting birdwatching weekend in Tasmania! The variety of species you saw is impressive. Kudos for braving the seasickness on the return trip, and I hope that celebratory ice-cream was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your dedication. These are great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Albatross photos...What kind of ice cream ???

    ReplyDelete