Wednesday 13 December 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 594 - Black-Capped Chickadee

I may recent trip to Canada, I think that the Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) was the bird I saw most often.  With the exception of one rather birdless afternoon, I can't recall a place that I went where I did not see them.

Closely related to both the Marsh and Willow Tits I used to see in the UK, they were are wonderfully familiar and often friendly bird.  On a number of the walks I went on it was clear that the Black-capped Chickadees had become accustomed to being fed from the hand by passing walkers.  There were also numerous stumps and logs that had been used as 'feeding tables'.  

For many people these are probably 'just' Chickadees, but I really liked them!







As ever, to join in with WBW click on the link below.  Cheers  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. Hello Stewart:=)
    These little birds are adorable, very like our Coal-tits which I get great pleasure from watching. I'm looking forward to seeing your Cuban birds, and also more of the Canadian birds. For some reason every time I try to post my link it doesn't work, that is why you rarely hear from me.
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are deer birds! Thank you Stewart Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The are delightful birds which become people friendly. Love the sound of them in the trees especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that you were in Canada Stewart....Chickadees are one of my favorite little birds..They always announce their presence...Wishing you a wonderful holiday season..Missy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chickadees look petite and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really brighten up the winter scene. Here in Connecticut they are outnumbered by the Tufted Titmice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    Cute as can be... and the similarity I see is to the Coal Tits I have flitting around the Hutch. Mainly that b&w head colouring. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Il suffit de lire le blog de David, on voit la Mésange à tête noire à chaque sortie.
    Je suis contente que tu l'aies rencontrée.
    À bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute little bird Stewart. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chickadee visit our yards frequently.... love their sound

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them. I posted a tufted titmouse, which is in the same family as the chickadee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pretty little bird and I love the photos. I hope all is well and that you have a good Christmas. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Stewart,

    First time here on your blog and it's a pleasure to see these lovely images of the Chickadee. We don't get them in our part of the world.

    I am sharing images of a few birds and critters from my wanderlust chronicles of 2023.

    Wishing you and yours a blessed Yule. Happy Holidays!

    https://natashamusing.com

    ReplyDelete