Monday 29 October 2012

Our World Tuesday - Australian Nightlife.....

When I was away in the Grampians a couple of weeks ago I took the kids on a bit of a night walk - we had a guide to provide red-lens torches (flash-lights to some!).  These have the advantage of letting us see, but not really disturbing the wildlife.

While not thick on the ground there was enough to be seen to keep even the grasshopper minds of kids interested.

I managed to get these images of Ring-Tailed Possums (Pseudocheirus peregrines) which is a common species - in fact I often see it running about on the phone and power cables outside my house!






As we were turning for home a Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) flashed across the path in front of us and took up residence on a dead stump.  I was a very nice bird to see.



You can read more about my trip to the Grampians here.

You can find more pictures rom around the world at Our World Tuesday.

Enjoy the pictures.

20 comments:

  1. The description of “grasshopper” minds seems fitting for people in general sometimes. The possums are such cute little creatures. And since taking pictures at night has its challenges I like how the eyes of the owl came out so clear under flashlight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical adventure! Night photography baffles me...but I shall try it soon, I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its such a nice blog to provides info
    hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!
    for more plz visit debt advisors
    debt management plan Company

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lucky catches. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good photos but I LOVE the last two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME sightings! great photos! so cute and cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hit the jackpot! Is the Tawny Frogmouth a type of owl? Really cool shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific captures, Stewart!! I do love the eyes! Wonderful night shots! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos of the possums and the frogmouth is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your possums are much better looking than ours! That's a fact. Love the Frogmouth, too! Really nice shots, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Night hike would be so much fun. I just love the name "tawny frogmouth".

    ReplyDelete
  12. great snaps in the night lights Stewart; a special bonus getting the tawny as well

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun and very cool sightings. I love the possums and the frogmouth is awesome! Great post, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wildlife is so different from anything I've seen anywhere else. I'm always amazed at the variations. That is one pretty little bird. The ring-tailed possums are cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic wild life photography ~ just wonderful! ~ Very professional ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh ! Never seen before. Thank you for your effort and these great pictures.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your description of your kids' attention span!

    Lovely shots - how wonderful to see these animals in the flesh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are beautiful night shots of wild life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cool! Love that you got some great photos, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete