Monday 22 July 2019

Central Australia - Larapinta Walk - Ormiston Pound

I have just come back from six days of walking in Central Australia - the walks were largely based on sections of a long distance path called The Larapinta Trail.

These pictures are from a walk that took in Ormiston Pound, and Ormiston Gorge.  This walk starts 135 km West of Alice Springs and ends at the Gorge.  As you can see from these pictures, this is a pretty dry area - although there are water holes in the Gorge.










The last picture shows the flat area of the Pound - with the entrance to the Gorge being in the shadows in the top left hand side of the picture.  You can see dry river valleys in the base of The Pound.

We were never far from the evidence of a huge fire that passed through this area early in 2019 - but there were also signs of the vegetation recovering.  The whole area needs some rain.

This won't be the last post from this walk!

Something seems to have happened at Blogger, so I have not received any notifications from my last two posts (not that I had internet access!) - but I will try to catch up.

You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.


17 comments:

  1. It looks remote, dry and forbidding, Stewart. Kudos to you for even attempting this walk! I think my days of such activity are about twenty years behind me. I hope in future posts you will show us a little of the unique birds no doubt found there. How far did you travel each day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I could think about was the amount of water you would need to carry for such a walk. The scenery is very different but the heat would get to me trying to do a walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Haven't done this particular part, but have walked the Olgas and the initial stages there are very similar to how this looks. I can feel that dry, crisp, hot air... (on the Blogger matter, in an update we have earlier this year, it was found we had to go back to the settings and remove, then reinsert our contact email address.) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a dry area! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to more. It looks like a great place for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing views of the country - I like the next to last photo best.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it looks so dry and barren. Not a lot of shade a round! Have a good week. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had to tote a lot of water along. Beautiful area. No birds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, those rocks would have killed my feet- I hope you had sturdy hiking boots. The place looks desolate, yet hauntingly beautiful at the same time. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a landscape I have ever experienced myself, but I imagine to be interesting to walk a trail in (even if it looks a little harsh).

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's tragically dry, like here in France right now !
    Perhaps there are two or three birds that resist this biotope ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw, reminds me of the terrain around my home town.

    This is the kind of walk one should do in a saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a fascinating area to explore. There's a certain beauty in this type of terrain, isn't there? It reminds me of an area near Big Bend National Park in Texas. I enjoyed our beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete