Tuesday 30 August 2022

Wild Bird Wednesday 527 - Spinifex Pigeon

Well, after 527 weeks I can saw that these are the least impressive pictures I have ever chosen to share on WBW.  So, if you are new here, please forgive these rather inept images - they are not normally like this! (I hope).

This is a Spinifex Pigeon (Geophaps plumifera) an endemic Australian species found over much of arid and semiarid northern and central Australia.  There are at least four races / subspecies of this colourful bird.

These pictures were taken under less than idea conditions with a camera I would not nominate as a suitable one for wildlife photography!  I used my little Olympus back-pack camera for these, and as the sun was shining very brightly on the LCD screen on the back I could not actually see what I was photographing!  Spray and Pray indeed!



I consider it a minor miracle that I managed to get images that are even this good!

So, in another departure, here is an image of this species from the web. As


(Andreas Trepte, www.avi-fauna.info.)


As you can see its a remarkable bird, which I was very pleased to see for the first time in ages.

To join in with WBW click on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. That is a beauty. And so proud of itself! So different from pigeons here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Love it, Stewart - very much 'of the moment' and so no less an image (or more) for that! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stewart, :=) What a gorgeous bird,...it doesn't even look like a pigeon. I have never seen this bird before, but it makes a really good impression. Many thanks for sharing this remarkable looking pigeon.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos Stewart. A beautiful bird. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite an ornate pigeon. I carry a loupe which does come in handy to proof the LCD images when the sun is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had one of those days. Saw a large bird swoop down beside the road ahead of me. Slowed down and just as I stopped, it swooped back up, a huge hawk right in front of my car! It had a snake in it's beak! Of course, I was not ready to take a picture and even if I had been, there was glare on my windshield. Oh well, it was neat to see and I'm glad I stopped and didn't hit it with my car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite the photos, you have a record of having seen it which is important. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gratuluję spotkania. Rzeczywiście niezwykły ptak. Taki do namalowania ;-)

    ReplyDelete