Wednesday 28 September 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 218 - Bar-shouldered Dove

The call of the Bar-shouldered Dove as a kind of bird call white noise in the Northern Territory - in the end you stop hearing it and only notice it when its not there!

These pictures were all taken at East Point in Darwin, which is a public park.  A number of people found it rather interesting that there was a group of people sporting lenses of various sizes at what is basically one of the commonest birds in the region.  I explained that we were from 'down south' and that seen to suffice.

Both of the Bar-shouldered Doves names (Geopelia humeralis) refer to its shoulders, even if the barring is really on the neck of the bird.

We saw these birds every day and almost everywhere when I was in NT, and despite them being rather common I do like them.  The antics of the pair of birds in the first pictures also made me smile I lot!









So, now its over you you.  Click the blue button and off you go.  Don't forget to visit the other WBWers on the page, and feel free to encourage new bloggers to join in.  SM


25 comments:

  1. They appear to be getting over their argument! Nice images of these handsome birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Room for one more :) Very happy to be joining Wild Bird Wednesday whilst Finn isn't looking. Doves are so gentle looking, lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stewart!:) Gorgeous photos of the sweet pair. These are so different than any doves I know and so lovely. The marking on the underside of the tail is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous little doves. I love their colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pics of the two doves together on the branch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, almost any bird down under is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a beautiful dove I saw a few times :) Nice shots of the pair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful doves, lovely coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doves! Though these may be common to many, to some of us, they're birds we've never seen. They do have pretty markings. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely birds. Your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely captures and beautifully marked tail. Thanks for hosting Stewart and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stewart, wonderful captures of this bird. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely! I especially love the pattern on their tails!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shadowing in those pictures...It's a shame to add my poor little dove but I'm gonna!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't get through that set of photos without smiling! Love your photos of the doves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pictures are looking like paintings... All pictures are really beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice looking dove, different to the ones we see in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A pretty dove. Your birders are very kind. Mostly all the birders I meet are, but one time I had someone laugh out loud at me because I was 'wasting my time' looking at a Kildeer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos Stewart! I love how doves pair up for life. It's kind of sad though, when you spot a single one. We had a pair who lived in our back yard for several years, we'd gotten so used to seeing them always together (or at least close). Last year, the female suddenly disappeared. Everyone was sad about it. The male dove was clearly out of sorts also.

    ReplyDelete