Monday 26 August 2013

Before and after...

I suppose most photographers (of any styles and competency) must have a interest in light.  The way it bounces off some surfaces and is absorbed by others is fascinating - the way the merest change  can radically alter the way that light interacts with that the surface makes for a constant shifting of colour and texture.

Back when I was a science teacher I used to love the practicals about light - especially bouncing light from pale surfaces to fill the darkness of shadows.  For many students it was a "your not kidding" kind of moment when it became clear that the mad-man at the front had got it right when he said light bounced off things.

I suppose these two images from the harbor in Hobart sum up this idea - the way the light falling on the boat and coming straight back to the camera makes such a different image to the light coming to the camera via the surface of the water.

So, why is this Our World on Tuesday?  I suppose it sums up an important aspect of our world,  - that understanding how things really are does not take away a single iota of beauty or mystery.

Enough!




You can find more images from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

SM

24 comments:

  1. You made me smile. Light in all its facets has been my 'leading light' so to speak, throughout my life.

    Love that second image and thanks for the sentiment of your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photo...

    Enjoy your week !

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know you were once a teacher. Interesting pair of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smiling too! Love that watery photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light really is an amazing this isn't it Stewart? The way it reflects, refracts, etc. It's as if it has a life of its own...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic reflection shot! Wow! ~ thanks, carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. heel mooi de weerspiegeling in het water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it does make for a pretty image. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should preface posts like this "Warning: Science Content Ahead". Too early in the morning for me so I'll just enjoy the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors, Stewart.

    I read once, years ago, and it's always stuck with me: Photography isn't capturing objects, it's capturing light on those objects. It's so very true and you've done a great job illuminating that here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the smiles to start my day, Stewart! And I love your watery shot! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great shots Stewart. I remember when I was learning to shoot b&w film how we had to observe light and think in those terms when we were taking the photos. It is all about the capture of light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots Stewart!!Lovely reflection!!!Have a nice week!!!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great combination!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the watery reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see you being a science teacher. Lovely shots, the reflection is cool. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A science teacher, how about that!
    Science is grand, light & mystery are too. :) Fun post, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to remember your wise words at the end of this post -- "understanding how things really are does not take away a single iota of beauty or mystery". I have a terrible tendency not to want to learn, because I'm afraid it will spoil the magic. (Lazy mind).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic images! like its...
    thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  20. These shots are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love this pairing, how the second stands alone in beauty but comes alive with meaning when you see the first.
    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a wonderful illustration Stewart. What I can't fathom out is the strange effect water seemms to have on digital images when a bird is in the foreground. Maybe it has something to do with all those pixels.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice! You are right about light. There is very little in life that makes me feel better than looking at the world when it is bathed in the golden light of late afternoon. I'd add early morning also, but I usually try to be sleeping at that time...

    ReplyDelete