Friday 24 January 2014

Sky from beneath the sea.

I may not have gone unnoticed that we have been spending a few days down at the beach - thankfully we were here during our recent very hot spell, so we spent a lot of time in the sea at the beginning and ending of each day.  During the middle bits of the days it was too hot and the spectre of sunburn and its long term health impacts drove us back to shelter.

Once the kids had (briefly) exhausted themselves I would do a bit of snorkelling.  I sorted out the "sun burn on the head" issue by using a very thin hood - normally warm under a wet suit in very cold water.  It may look a bit over the top - but it seems to work well!

One of the things I like about snorkelling is the ability to be in that transition zone between water and air - and in this zone the light is refracted and reflected in many different ways.

These images were taken with a little waterproof point and shot, held out in front of me and angled a little up at the sky.  I rather like the results.






You can find more sky shots (and less terms you last heard in Year 9 Physics!) at Sky Watch Friday

33 comments:

  1. Oh my, these are just mystical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful underwater pictures, Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neato! You could to do more of these, a view rarely seen by us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are mystical indeed!! Wonderful captures for the day, Stewart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are super neat! I've always wanted to go snorkeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool almost surreal. Great idea there. MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots - so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mooie bewerkingen,Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those did come out well. I'd love to try underwater photography.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they're great to see Stewart; how interesting under the surface it would be; my favourite is the first image

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool photos, Stewart. A neat way to capture the sky! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Without your explanation I'm not sure I would have guessed what that last one was, it looks quite ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What makes you think I would remember even one term I learned in 9th grade Physics ... I was lucky to remember them when they were being taught :) I love this unique venture on your part. My son is a scuba diver and travels far and wide to take awesome dives and yet, I have probably seen more of your pictures, as of today, then any of his. Unlike me, he isn't big into camera's, just loves the experience. So this is quiet a treat, Stewart, and discloses yet another of your many talents. Glad you are able to spend time on the beach with the kids ... those are times that will always be precious in your memory.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! A very neat view point. And you staying cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love 'em. I hope your back and legs are covered too, not just your head.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd say the results are amazing! Glad you're staying cool. I'd love to send you a bit of our arctic blast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic!
    You just keep on finding unique ways to photograph the sky!
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://shutterbug-rajlakshmi.blogspot.com/2014/01/skywatch-cable-car.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Underwater pics! So beautifull!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful, I though they were paintings at first!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, great photos, I like the water surface from below.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these underwater shots, and not sure why buy they seem very appropriate for skywatch shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stewart - I was hoping I'd hear from you on my crow question. Thanks for confirming what the crows are up to and for the book recommend too. I just wish I knew where they roosted. That must be a sight to see.

    You do take some interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fascinating photos of color and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful pictures and what a perfect place and way to spend those hot hot days.

    ReplyDelete